Tuesday, 28 June 2011

The souless house


Ok it's not that bad. I look at the houses on The Block and truly our place is not as devo next to it. However, our bathroom has been ripped out and yesterday they took out the bathroom floor too. There's this massive gaping hole in my house. On Thursday, it's the kitchen's turn. So the house will not have a kitchen or a bathroom. To me that is a souless house. Like a woman without breasts. It loses the defining characteristics we would usually look for in a property and loses it's ability to be a home to its residents.

Am I being too dramatic? I hope not to be. I know when I look back in the future when we have the beautiful bathroom and kitchen I will not remember how cold this winter was and how hard it was to have to hover in the outhouse in the cold nights. I will not remember cooking on a portable stove and making meals in a makeshift kitchen with rubble and boxes rife in the surroundings. I will not remember the helpless feelings I get from being told something else is wrong with our house that needs to be fixed otherwise in the long term we will spend more money maintaining it. And I will not remember the sleepless nights I had because even though I tell everyone I am not stressed or try to not let it affect me, I cannot feel at ease until I see it all fall into place.

So... I will go home tonight and revel in the new touches S's dad has out into the house whilst I was at work today. I will make my penultimate dinner on the Westinghouse stove and I will watch The block and thank the heavens above that my place at least does not smell like a dead rat or has nearly as much damp as those houses in the show. And when I say my prayers tonight I will remember to ask for a good night's rest and for acceptance and peace.

We shall turn this



Into this:




You might also like:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...