Monday, 13 May 2019

I took care of it

”Mummy I had a nose bleed but don’t worry I took care of it” announced the four year old 6 a.m. this morning? The groggy version of me scrambles to compute the words. Then I launch out of bed lurching my nipple twiddling nineteen month old out of her pre-morning trance. A deep breath precursors her waking. “Waaahhhh!” And there it is.

The start to our first full week in a while. A day after my first practice hike, I haul my recovering muscles into action. As the balls of my feet touch the ground, I realise they aren’t as sore as I anticipate they could be. Ahh well then I have no excuse but to get on with it eh?

A wet wipe to clean the residual blood from her face, a baby placed on my left hip we all then proceed into the kitchen where I promptly mix two bowls of warm weetabix. How can it still be so cold in May? But then again I am in summer pyjamas and the sun is shining fiercely already against the bright blue skies streaming through the skylight in the kitchen.

I plod on as the toddler throws her breakfast around, mumbling back responses to my chatty four year old. Something about how if she gets hit then she cannot hit back. Then she turns schizo and starts to tell me she loves me and oh no we forgot to go to church yesterday, I jerk my head towards her and gave a steely stare daring her trembling lower lip to not give way to a wail. I cannot abide another tantrum on this Monday morning. If I could have a better morning it will be easier to face the week I know it.

As they continue to eat breakfast I proceed to prep for dinner, putting the rice to cook and marinating some sea bream fillets to bake together with some asparagus tips as soon as I get through the door tonight. I am stopping by to see the nurse after work. I hope she isn’t going to run late because I can’t afford to be late picking up the girls either.

I check the weather forecast, quickly water the plants, and then pick out weather appropriate clothing and proceed to change the girls and myself. “Daddy!” I hear gleeful shrieks as I look up to see my partner in crime swoop down to pick up a delighted toddler to greet her. It’s always the case, they reward the one who has done the fun thing for them not necessarily the menial.

Ploughs on, packing bags, my lunch, mentally making lists of groceries I need to restock on my lunch break.

Right I am ready for my work week to begin. I call our little family together for a huddle. The little one runs to me declaring her blouse is wet. Never mind, I came prepared as I was packing her spare clothes bag. A change of blouse and a cuddle, an Eskimo kiss for my older one because well that’s her mode of farewell currently.

I walk out of the house and can’t help thinking just how much my family has grown in the past seven months since I had returned to work. A dumb smile spreads across my face because it is one of those rare moments where I do feel like I am winning at this Working Mum life.

A precarious position that is easily tipped over by any momentary loss of focus/ challenge to my mood( best kept temperate for optimal conditions) or distracted thought. So with a hop a skip and a smile, I charge onwards to start my Monday morning bravely knowing that if I didn’t take care of it( which I am 85% sure I have) then the other members of the family unit/ nursery/ society will do. I just have to have faith and keep positive about it. 




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

You might also like:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...