It seems surreal to be able to provide for my family in these times, to make memories whilst others are suffering through terrible times. I pushed out the anxieties threatening to overtake my mind and tried hard to focus on my family.
The bright blue skies and pastries helped the course. We had troopers walking an average of fifteen thousand steps per day the past week. Taking in Paris without complaint of meltdowns until we were back at our Airbnb. We steered the children away from paid playgrounds and introduced them to new pleasures such as sailing wooden boats, finding la Jaconde, climbing into maze hedges at Jardin Tuileries, jumping and climbing Palais Royale’s columns, walking up the Eiffel Tower, watching a flash mob dance-off at Trocadero gardens, lighting candles and praying together at the Sacre Cour, street art appreciation in the streets of Montmarte, Easter egg hunting on the walls of Macdonalds, playing on the interactive wall in Galeries Lafayette, freezing water in plastic bottles to take to the amusement park for a particularly hot day.
Two little girls, as different as they came, learnt to walk along the streets of Paris playing non-digital games, using their imagination and observing how French children behaved ( sadly none of their delightful habits rubbed off). They still managed to make me proud of them in their own ways despite me realising they are likely not as well behaved as the meek Asian children are raised to be. My family back home may struggle with accepting them, but I love their courage and curiosity. I love their positivity and adventurous spirits. Overall my fears of losing them in Paris went unfounded as they exercised caution mostly and always stuck by.
This holiday was different and I know why. My wonderful 19 year old cousin definitely helped by entertaining them, teaching them games and songs that distracted them in long queues. I felt more relaxed than I usually was. Plus not cooking during the holiday helped me relax too. I don’t think I fought once with my husband either although unfortunately one evening I did bark my cousin’s head off when we were tired, hungry and he was being politely indecisive about what to eat.
Other than that, I certainly do not regret the holiday one bit.
Making memories and spending time to understand my children is a luxury I take for granted. I know how frustrating everyday life can be but am grateful I took a breather this Easter to celebrate the important things in life, happy families, praying together, forgiving and seeing each other’s perspective together.
May 2022 will bring with it a poignant trip home for the first time without my dad, to try to pick up pieces and address any delayed grief if there is any. I hope it will be peaceful and bond building like this Easter break, but will approach it like my daughters did, brave and open minded come what May.