I can't believe we pulled it off! All the year's hard work and planning all really paid off on the day and we were so showered with gifts and compliments that we were really humbled to have been able to share this beautiful moment with such close friends of ours...
What worked well:
- All our wedding vendors were fantastic and very professional. They have proven that they were worth every penny paying for and all arrived when they said they would and did everything as we had discussed and made sure everything was running per schedule... we were always ahead of time for the day!
- All of our relatives and friends that S and I hand-picked for specific tasks, they were really responsible and made sure they took care to be able to make our special day that much more of a delight for us.
1) Our MCs took our NYC theme and our personalities and totally ran with it which blew us away. We could have paid a professional and not achieved this effect in a million years!
2) The ushers who made sure the guests were well attended to and that all the gifts, bubbles, programs were handled and handed out properly
3) The aunty who cooked all the delicious food and made sure we all had enough to eat! I ate more than I have been told Brides get to eat on their special day cause everyone took really good care of me. I got nutritious food, water, caffeine and alcohol all at the right moments of the Day to sustain me and help me pull through the whole day.
4) Our priest who made sure I didn't end up crying a single drop throughout the ceremony and was told afterwards that I was the happiest bride the guests had ever seen. It was one of those weddings!It was my secret wish; I am so glad!
5) Our friends who helped us check into the hotel so that all we had to do after such a long and exhausting day was to siddle up to our room and relax!
6) Our bridal party who gave us refreshments, carried umbrellas, constantly supplied me with lip gloss when I needed it...and drove us around on the day. They even saved us on the dance floor when no one would join us on the floor to dance and unrehearsed...they did a fantastic job!
7) My fabulous cousins, MF and G and the plus ones they roped in to help, Y and A, for the wedding day from the start to the finish of the day. They might not have realised it at the time, but they were my angels in helping us pull together the strings that made the event seamless and picked up the pieces that I didn't manage to catch...
8) The Cake, Music, speeches, outfits, jellybeans, Crazybooth, restaurant food, wedding cars...all worked a treat and were big hits!
What I needn't have worried about after all:
1) My reception dress's length! Surprise surprise... cause the tulle got caught inside the dress and never fell out to cover my shoes after all and in the buzz of the night, I never knew better and the guests were none the wiser... so focussed were they on the details and the design of the dress...no one figured out that it was too short!
2) The weather. We really were blessed...as many of the other brides we bumped into at The Rocks and Observatory hill would attest to... there was no rain until the pictures were done and by then we were safely indoors!
3) Accomodation for out-of town guests.... they all sorted themselves out and found free accomodation with friends and relatives and I never needed to have offered!
4) Budget...of course I couldn't have been a spendthrift either and gone overboard...but we were so blessed with our guests' generosity that we are not in debt post-wedding and all up, probably only spent $10k max on everything wedding and honeymoon related.
S says this day has raised the bar for all multicultural weddings and we were able to create a day that was truly us and enabled our guests to really enjoy what we stood for and our heritage, that being Australian-Malaysian Chinese. I am sure this is a biased opinion....but the fact that I received this wedding card during the reception, it was really the only thing I hoped for... and I did it!
