Surprisingly I got through her first week of school without the excitement or fears I thought I might. I do feel some things though. Immense pride for one. My little one has gained so much knowledge in Preschool that I know she won’t be overwhelmed at school as I was on my first day. In fact I did wonder if she’d be underwhelmed and bored even but so far she hasn’t shown any signs of that. The poor little girl reads so well by herself but has always got her head in a cloud of dreams. She has little self awareness like me, but every bit of confidence in what she knows she likes, always gravitating towards non-girly things and asking for trousers instead of skirts. We try to protect her and observe on her behalf as well as pick up clues from what she tells us on whether there are any missed social cues in her life. That said, the anxiety I feel isn’t as crazy as I thought I may have had.
Where I worry I have failed her is more to do with the choice we made to send her to state school. Whilst I do not want to raise an entitled child, I do feel that I could do better for her, and so part of me hasn’t accepted our status quo as the end of the game. I am still very much in the game and on the waiting lists of two other schools hoping very much to get in within a year (fingers crossed), as I do wish to get my little one into nursery in the same school as her sister and applications will begin in Feb.
I also feel like I have not researched her classes and lined them up as well as I should have. There’s a fine line inside me that is dividing the laid back Mum from Tiger mum territory. I feel like I need to make a stance and forge ahead instead of toeing the line and worrying about being judged. Inevitably every other mum seems to be letting their child learn at the very least swimming and a language, so I am not really pushing her in the wrong directions am I? I have spent way too much time instead trying to manage our finances I reckon. And in doing so, fallen behind in planning her extracurricular. Here’s the wish list: performing arts, science and maths camp, swimming, mandarin, musical instrument, tennis. That’s all I have in mind.
In reality, all I have got is performing arts lined up and a half hearted attempt at swimming classes enrolment. The big ‘projects’ I’ve got to tackle next are cycling without stabilisers and potty training the little one. Both seem like such big hills to climb next. Gosh... I really hope I can muster up the energy to take on both soon enough.
I am the epitome of bad mum in the area I live in. But then again, I have really thoroughly enjoyed the simple quiet pace with my little ones. Perhaps they have been so bored from not being stimulated by the range in activity that the older one has self taught herself to read and the little one has decided to self learn how to dress herself. I can’t help but feel so blessed to have them both in my life.
Saying goodbye to my parents with them in my ear about how good my husband really is and how much I’ve spoilt my children albeit them being in thorough agreement that they are very cute and bright. I again walk away from them in the airport too void of emotion to process the task before me. My Aunty suggested that life as a young mother is hard but I can’t complain really because my in laws have given us so much help in every way imaginable this past nine months that it didn’t matter what the shortcomings of my husband and children were, I’ve allowed myself to go soft.
It is now time to rev up and dial up the parenting energy to make things right. After all, I will have to maintain the beat, Andante or Allegro, it’s my choice truly.