Somewhere in the universe, someone is watching out for us mums. No one in our immediate circle, no those little ones and the man will take us for granted day in day out. But a couple of weeks ago I was tapped on the shoulder by another female leader at work asking why I wasn’t looking for more in my job, whether I was being fulfilled and why wasn’t I managing more people and joining her in her leadership team. She looked into my eyes and saw my potential. Very gently, she explained that I do not have to give up my work life balance, that I can still stretch further and be a great mum still because the hours will remain the same. She says I overextend myself already anyways but in a thankless role in the firm, so why not overextend in a more rewarding position. It’s one of those offers I cannot refuse. She’d planned it through for me, slowly increasing my responsibilities so that I am not overwhelmed and then promotion track mapped out too (something I haven’t quite managed to do by myself successfully).
I think I choked back tears. The man was supportive, if he worried about my wellbeing, he didn’t show it. Realistically, he won’t be changing his habits or taking on more work at home so I’d have to maintain status quo. It’s not fair that it’s not equal, but for my kids’ wellbeing, I’d have to put up with that for how it will be. Also that third child that he keeps threatening me with cannot materialise.
It’s time for me to focus on me. The kids are growing up, it’s time to get them to be more independent. It’s time for me to not feel guilty for taking time for me. It’s time to wear more jewellery and makeup and not make excuses for not being presentable anymore. It is time to be seen. Once more.