Sunday, 9 June 2013

Nobu Melbourne

This is a scheduled post for whilst I am still on a plane and battling jetlag and until I catch up from all the great travel and haul posts.

The first time I was here, I was having a lonesome lunch at the bar and ordered the Bento box. I must say that experience was a lot better than this time. We got a large table but because we were work colleagues with various dietary requirements, sharing food, especially something as unique as Japanese where raw food was an acquired delicacy, not everyone came to the party. And that may have foiled the experience somewhat.

I can only share with you what I ate:

Sashimi Dinner
 This dish is very generous in portion and variety but the quality of the fish could be a tad better. I'd have better in less expensive restaurant chains in Sydney - Musashi/ Miso. And this was a little less fresh leaving the fish texture to be a tad harder to chew and less firm to the bite. I couldn't find a soy sauce dish to mix my condiments in either so eating this platter was awkward for me, not being able to get the ratios of sauce and wasabi done right, the way I like it.

Mushroom Tobanyaki
I do like my mushrooms, so this dish was heaven for me, The flavours and textures were delightfully balanced and the dish served with rice was really comforting to have in winter. I did think there was a bit too much to have just this one dish for dinner though and I'd suggest this is one the ones that's better shared amongst the table.

I had other guests on the table that got sick from the food that night so I was lucky in a way we didn't share food. But that isn't acceptable standards in a fancy restaurant like Nobu and I'd say, if I had to pay for premium Japanese, I wouldn't be considering Nobu Melbourne for the time being.



Nobu on Urbanspoon

You might also like:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...