Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Trip to Perth, the Pan Pacific

I had the fortunate opportunity to be sent to Perth for work last week, it was my first time being here and it was certainly refreshing to be in the other half of our two-speed economy I'll tell you that. For starters, there were no talks of doom and gloom. China was the focus, not Europe. And with the wealth, the biggest issue was coping with growth and not so much the sustainability of the business.

I stayed and worked at the Pan Pacific in those two days. And whilst the rooms weren't anything much to write about (the story is there is so little supply for accommodation in Perth that hotels can't bear to miss out on the revenue they are still able to command with these nineties styled Mod rooms).

What the hotel lacked in style and room facilities, it didn't exactly make up in the in-room dining either. I ordered the most indulgent dish on the menu, a squid ink linguine cooked in a white sauce with scallops and prawns. Whilst it presented really well, and the scallops and prawns weren't overcooked, the cheesiness of the sauce masked the freshness of the seafood. Furthermore, the linguine wasn't al dente and the whole dish was really just a cheesy mess.

 The White wine poached pear that I ordered was comparatively heaven with its chopped topping of strawberries and mint. The delicacy of the refreshing favours acted as the perfect palate cleanser, ridding my buds of all that nasty cheesiness.

Where I worked however, where the conference rooms had been refurbished merely a year or two ago, it was an opulent world. Black chandeliers and luscious leather chairs dotted the halls where we were to hold our cocktail function.



 It was gorgeous. I thought of writing too about the things I got up to in Perth, but perhaps will save that for a different post.

You might also like:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...