Sunday, 12 February 2012

Love lost

A Scene from the movie, "The Women" (2008):
Don't you criticize me.
Let me ask you something.

 
Now that Molly trusts you,
are you gonna betray her like you did me?

 
Do you have any idea
how hard it is to be your friend?

 
I tried to make it up to you.
What more do you want?

 
I wanna know
how you can sell out your best friend.

 
I hope that job is worth it, Sylvie,
because it's all you've got.

 
I quit my job.

 
- What?
- What else could I do?

 
I was making terrible compromises.

 
I can't believe you quit.

 
How could I be so out of whack
that I sold out my best friend?

 
You were in an impossible situation.
Of course you'd wanna keep your job.

 
It's what you do, and you're great at it.

 
It's nothing compared
to being responsible for a child.

 
- I don't know how you do it.
- Come on, I'm a terrible mother.

 
Look what I'm passing down
from my own.

 
I can't even talk to my own daughter
about sex.

 
Well, it's easy for me.
I wasn't there changing her diapers.

 
- I mean...
- I know, you are helping me out.

 
You're doing me a really big favor.
Thank you very much.

 
Goddamn it. Thank you.

 
Anything I can do.

 
You have a huge job, huge.

 
I'm so glad I never had children.

 
That's the last impermissible thing
you can say at a party.

 
That you don't want children.

 
Well, I'm gonna have a dinner party
and then you can say that.

 
Oh, my God, I'm exhausted.

 
We're a mess.

 
I like your hair, though.

 
You know what?
I got my divorce papers today.

 
Oh.

 
All I have to do is sign,
and I can't seem to be able to find a pen.

 
Mary, look, it's the 21 st century.

 
It's okay for people
to fight for their relationships.

 
You know what this feels like?

 
It feels like
that phantom limb syndrome.

 
You know that thing where you lose a part
of your body, like an arm or something...

 
...but you still have the sensation
that it's there.

 
Well, you know,
I'm sure Stephen feels the same way.

 
Oh, no,
I'm not talking about Stephen and me.

 
I'm talking about you and me.

I have been struggling with my childhood bestie since the first season of Gossip Girl. I remember crying at the scene where Serena confronts Blair and tells her how hard it has been, and I cried for a lost relationship that neither of us were ready to let go of our prides to fix.

She came to Sydney and then she left. That's what everybody knows. What nobody knows is why, and how hard it was here. It was the wrong time I perceive. To give up everything and come during the GFC to have to build a new life here. To know that your old friends have moved on and to know that you have to quickly learn about a culture that you have had a different impression of. I knew it was hard, but I was afraid to help. Afraid that the gesture would seem condescending, and afraid that she wouldn't be as strong as she used to be if she grew to be dependant. But my resilient manners were misunderstood as standoffish perhaps. That and also the fact that I never talked to her about what I thought her problems were. She just thought we were laughing at her behind her back and it got to the point that she didn't want to go out with me. Period.

Sighz... Do I have the Phantom limb syndrom? I wish I could honestly say I do. I don't dispute that there is one major piece of my life missing. I do miss the talks about love, life, our fascination with what the opposite sex was thinking, our watching out for each other.

But, I get that from the other women in my life these days. So I do not need to muster up the courage to be the first to say I am sorry. With her being in a different country it seems counter-intuitive anyways. So I wait, for things to be forgotten, angers to calm and words to come.

You might also like:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...