Thursday, 2 February 2012

In the mood for love

I had laid eyes on Passion

When I first had a glimpse...










I had no doubts I wanted a qipao for my wedding day. Mum wore one on her day and I remember finding it once in her wardrobe as a child. Fingering the smooth red velvet and the gold phoenix embroidery in wonder I vowed that if I ever grew into the dress, I'd wear it when I got married.





That never eventuated as we lost the dress when I was eleven.





This one dress became my obsession as you would have followed and gauged here, here, here and here. Ok I know you get the picture. But so many were enthralled with the dress after the reception that I just could not help but start believing the garment was really very worth its while.












One of the most enchanting part of the dress was the row of ruby buttons down the back





When Dancing Life's Dance, keep your eyes on your partner

Perhaps I really believed the dress had the mystical power to turn you into an Asian princess on your wedding night, or just due to my fun fact #7, I loaned it to a dear dear girlfriend, almost like a sister to me, who got married recently. I cannot have been happier to see her in my dress, to have it fit perfectly and to see her blithe figure embraced by the hauntingly beautiful dress. I hope the dress helped her achieve her wish of wearing a traditional dress and an evening gown during her wedding (she didn't have the luxury of time to organise her own modern cheongsam which I think she's covetted for the reception) and that she felt every bit as special and proud of our cultural heritage as I did on my own wedding night.











- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

You might also like:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...