I had been given Macarons for my birthday (albeit a little crushed):

And we had gotten them on weekends with our coffees:

Even had one on Vday that has just gone by:

These chewy melt in the mouth delights are just divine! I have had many failed attempts at trying to make these.
This isnt a post on how fabulous my homemade Macarons were or how easy they are to make once you know how.
Cause I am far from successful yet. I had tried the French method twice previously but wasn't successful enough. Largely because I think I never knew how long to whip the eggs for so I never got to the stiff peaks stage.
I bought a candy thermometer last week to try out the Italian method. And I was scared of the boiling sugar syrup at first, but I made it through unscarred thank God. Still, I don't think I am quite there yet, but here are some shots of my attempt at some strawberry and chocolate ganache Macarons:


As you can see here, I should have given these babies a few more folds before piping the lot, but I was so terrified of over folding that I went with this. It made it easier for an amateur like me to pipe them out anyways.

And these were them after baking in the oven. So here's my thoughts on what went wrong.
1) I should bake them for a lower heat for a little longer than the prescribed fifteen minutes.
2) I should have had the patience to age the eggs and then wait for the shell to form. I just wanted to go to bed! It was two am when I finished these little divas! I should also start a little earlier in the day next time instead of doing it after dinner.
3) I should really get kitchen scales and do this with some real accuracy. And whilst at that i should buy proper baking trays that will conduct heat better to my little babies.
Well, they didnt look perfect but they still tasted yummy!

I will keep trying.
On other note, S went to get photos developed for our Kate Spade photo frame that we had gotten from work as our wedding gift.
Tada! Proudly now displayed on our glass console in the hallway:

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone