Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Do you believe in Star-crossed lovers?



No really... How many times have you had to try and give a good friend (who's had their heart broken) some story about why they should not give up on love or why someone is their perfect someone and is waiting for them?

My latest story is about my real life idol who I always share with my gal friends about because she is our Singaporean Carrie Bradshaw. She is only nine years older than me but has really captivated my imagination of the world I wanted for myself when I grew up.

Because I wanted to emulate her beauty, I used her favorite cosmetics, SK II. Because I loved her jet-setting life, I studied international business. Because I adored her style and self-confidence, I always followed her antics with the greatest interest even if she was a very private person. After several relationships, and a severe battle with depression, I see her soar again now with a story that inspires my friends who at this age want to give up hope that they might ever meet Mr. Right.

My idol met her love not too long ago and will get married this year. He's bought her a penthouse and a Cartier ring and an apartment in Paris I believe the rumors were. I was so happy that her Happy Ever After was looming as we had never gotten this close before.

This isn't the princess's dream though. It isn't something you read to little girls at night. For who ever went to bed thinking one day that she will grow up to become the stepmother? You see, her package comes with kids and that she had to wait patiently for his family to accept her before all this could happen.

I suppose this shows that sometimes, the package might not come the way you were looking for, but if you kept an open mind, you'd find your Mr. Right-for-you in a way least expected by you. I mean there is no hard and fast rule as to what Mr. Right should be like, or which pool you'd find him in.

I found mine in a man who was the shoulder I needed, the strength that I lacked and the patience and wisdom of the world I never had. I was looking to play the field when he asked me to go out having been hurt in the previous two relationships and sick of it. But S was to me all those years ago, like the pastel blue unicorn I found at school that had broken off someone's pencil, an alluring piece of throwaway that I kept because I was sure I'd need it someday but was not sure right then what I'd need it for but I didn't want another to have it. Thankfully, I was curious to see what we could have and I was curious to see if He could teach me to know that Love, you know, that as Carrie puts it," Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient , consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love."

I imagined that one day I may find out that our paths have crossed before and some sign would show that we were just meant for each other. Now, it just doesn't seem so important anymore as I know our Love is just what we want to make of it.

You might also like:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...